Re: Roadmap for a Win32 port - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Steve Howe
Subject Re: Roadmap for a Win32 port
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello Thomas,

>> Good summary.  I think we would support both threaded and fork()
>> operation, and users can control which they prefer.  For a web backend
>> where many sessions are a single query, people may want to give up the
>> stability of fork() and go with threads, even on Unix.

TL> I would think that we would build on our strengths of having a fork/exec
TL> model for separate clients. A threaded model *could* benefit individual
TL> clients who are doing queries on multiprocessor servers, and I would be
TL> supportive of efforts to enable that.
Just a note - this is also the solution adopted by Interbase/Firebird
and it seems interesting. They already had the same problems
PostgreSQL has been under today.
Those interested in read about Interbase's architeture, please refer
to http://community.borland.com/article/0,1410,23217,00.html.
"Classic" is the fork() model, and the "SuperServer" is the threaded
model.
Best regards,Steve Howe                           mailto:howe@carcass.dhs.org