Re: Fixing warnings in back branches? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Fixing warnings in back branches?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I think that's an ok one-off policy. But looking back it was pretty much
> always the case that the release -3 or so started to look pretty
> horrible, warning wise.

I think that's a condition of life.  The compilers are moving targets,
no matter that they allegedly implement standards.  We endeavor to keep
HEAD able to compile warning-free on recent compilers, but I don't think
we can make such a promise for back branches.  This thread offers a great
example of why not: the changes required would sometimes be too invasive
to be justifiable.

In the end, if you're building an old branch, you should be doing it with
old tools.