Re: logical changeset generation v6.2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: logical changeset generation v6.2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 10/15/2013 07:56 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
>>> Well, just providing the C API + an example in a first step didn't work
>> >
>> > I suspect so, too.  But I also think that if that's the only thing
>> > available in the first release, a lot of users will get a poor initial
>> > impression.
> I think lots of people will expect a builtin logical replication
> solution :/. Which seems a tad unlikely to arrive in 9.4.

Well, last I checked the Slony team is hard at work on building
something which will be based on logical changesets.  So there will
likely be at least one tool available shortly after 9.4 is released.

A good and flexible API is, IMHO, more important than having any
finished solution.  The whole reason why logical replication was outside
core PG for so long is that replication systems have differing and
mutually incompatible goals.  A good API can support all of those goals;
a user-level tool, no matter how good, can't.

And, frankly, once the API is built, how hard will it be to write a
script which does the simplest replication approach (replay all
statements on slave)?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.