Re: Auto-tuning work_mem and maintenance_work_mem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Auto-tuning work_mem and maintenance_work_mem
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 10/10/2013 11:41 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> tunedb --available-memory=32GB
>
> ...and it will print out a set of proposed configuration settings.  If
> we want a mode that rewrites the configuration file, we could have:
>
> tunedb --available-memory=32GB --rewrite-config-file=$PATH
>
> ...but that might be overkill, at least for version 1.

Given that we are talking currently about ALTER SYSTEM SET *and*
configuration directories, we should not be rewriting any existing
config file.  We should be adding an auto-generated one, or using ALTER
SYSTEM SET.

In fact, why don't we just do this though ALTER SYSTEM SET?  add a
plpgsql function called pg_tune().

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.