Re: Trouble installing psycopg2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Trouble installing psycopg2
Date
List pgsql-general
On 09/29/2013 11:06 AM, Augori wrote:
> Hmm maybe you're right.  I just tried starting over again from a
> directory under joshmoe, following the tutorial again, but I get
> permssions errors at every turn.
>
> # wgethttp://python.org/ftp/python/2.7.3/Python-2.7.3.tar.bz2
> # tar xf Python-2.7.3.tar.bz2
> # cd Python-2.7.3
> # ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
> # make && makealtinstall
>

> Since it's already their, I thought maybe I could skip to these steps
> but they give permission errors as well
>
> # wgethttp://pypi.python.org/packages/source/d/distribute/distribute-0.6.35.tar.gz
> # tar xf distribute-0.6.35.tar.gz
> # cd distribute-0.6.35
> # python2.7 setup.py install
>
> I guess this is the reason I started installing things from root.

The above steps should be run as root preferably via sudo. You have
already done that as well as the step that installed virtualenv. My
suggestion was to run the below as joshmoe in joshmoes home directory:

virtualenv-2.7 --distribute someproject

source someproject/bin/activate
(someproject)# python --version

Then install psycopg2 in that virtualenv.

This assumes you want to run psycopg2 in a virtualenv. I am not sure
what the end point of all this i.e. how you want to use psycopg2?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com