Re: Known issues for PostgreSQL server 8.1.19 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Known issues for PostgreSQL server 8.1.19
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 9/20/2013 10:05 AM, Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> Dashputre, Anurag (GE Healthcare) wrote on 20.09.2013 08:39:
>> Thanks for your reply. We can't upgrade to newer version as of now.
>> We just want to know list of known issues on 8.1.19.
>> We will just note them down and do some impact analysis.
>
> You will need to go through the release notes for every version after
> 8.1.19 and see what was fixed - those should be the "open issues" in
> your release. An upgrade to a new minor version (8.1.19 to 8.1.23)
> should never be a problem though.

basically, start at E.100 here,
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/release.html and read every
release note newer than that.

8.1.19 was released in December 2009, about the same time as 8.2.15,
8.3.9, and 8.4.2, so when you did your code freeze on that version,
there were already 3 newer major releases.

the final 8.1 release, 8.1.23, was released in 2010-12-16 concurrently
with 8.2.19, 8.3.13, 8.4.16, and 9.0.2.

bug fixes after that date were not applied to 8.1, so you should
probably also read all the release notes from 9.0.3 to 9.0.13, filtering
them for features that were added after 8.1 (for instance, replication
related bugs obviously aren't applicable to 8.1)

I really really don't like to see that phrase, "we can't upgrade to
newer version".   do you also run 5 year old operating systems that are
unsupported and unpatched?    sadly, this is all too common in the
embedded world, where no planning consideration is given towards product
maintenance and updating.