SSI freezing bug - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject SSI freezing bug
Date
Re: SSI freezing bug
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Prompted by Andres Freund's comments on my Freezing without Write I/O
patch, I realized that there's there's an existing bug in the way
predicate locking handles freezing (or rather, it doesn't handle it).

When a tuple is predicate-locked, the key of the lock is ctid+xmin.
However, when a tuple is frozen, its xmin is changed to FrozenXid. That
effectively invalidates any predicate lock on the tuple, as checking for
a lock on the same tuple later won't find it as the xmin is different.

Attached is an isolationtester spec to demonstrate this.

- Heikki

Attachment