Re: Unary Operators - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andreas Ulbrich
Subject Re: Unary Operators
Date
List pgsql-general
On 18.09.2013 02:17, David Johnston wrote:
> Andreas Ulbrich wrote
>> create operator ^- (leftarg = float, procedure = reciproce);
>> works too, but
>> create operator / (leftarg = float, procedure = reciproce);
>> not.
> Do you mean the "^" operator or the "^-" operator?  Rowan claims that "^"
> does not in fact work here...
>

> --

I'd like to take the /-Operator as the inverse element of an element
relating to multiplication analogous the '-'-Operator for the inverse
relating to addition.
As a compromise, because the left unary / not work, I took '^-' for "to
the power of minus (one)".

It sounds logical, that native operators (4.1.6, Table 4-2) could be not
redefined with other number of arguments (% doesn't work to as left
unary...). But than a miss some documentation hints what are native
operators.

Thanks

Andreas