Re: Major upgrade of PostgreSQL and MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Karl Denninger
Subject Re: Major upgrade of PostgreSQL and MySQL
Date
List pgsql-general

On 9/12/2013 11:11 AM, Patrick Dung wrote:
While reading some manual of PostgreSQL and MySQL (eg. http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/upgrading-from-previous-series.html).

I have found that MySQL has stated many incompatibilities and know issues (a long list) in the MySQL version 5.0, 5.1, 5.5, 5.6 and 5.7.

For PostgreSQL, it seems I can't find the list (it just say see the Appendix E / release notes).
I think it is a plus for PostgreSQL if it has few
incompatibilities between major versions.

By the way, for in-place major version upgrade (not dumping DB and import again), MySQL is doing a better job in here.

Please share your thought, thanks.

pg_upgrade will do an in-place upgrade if you wish.  It is somewhat risky if not done using a COPY (it can either copy or not, as you wish) but it's considerably faster than a dump/restore and is "in-place."

I use it regularly.

--
Karl Denninger
karl@denninger.net