Re: Problems dumping a DB - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Problems dumping a DB
Date
List pgsql-general
jscott@webmail.bmi.net writes:
> I'm trying to dump a database from a 6.5 PGSQL server so that I can put it
> on a new server that is running the latest version.  The problem is that
> when I try to dump it gives me this error:

> [jesse@titan jesse]$ pg_dump rat > rat.db
> dumpSequence(reporters_idnum_seq): 0 (!= 1) tuples returned by SELECT
> [jesse@titan jesse]$

> I'm not sure what's going on with that that sequence.  It seems to be
> working properly (I just inserted another row into that table and it
> assigned it the next number in the sequence.) but I can't drop the
> sequence:

> rat=> drop sequence reporters_idnum_seq;
> ERROR:    DeletePgTypeTuple: reporters_idnum_seq type nonexistent

Wow, that's pretty bizarre.  I'm not too concerned about trying to
work out how 6.5 could get into a state like that --- but if you can
reproduce it on a newer release, let us know ;-)

Meanwhile, your best bet is to try to drop the sequence so pg_dump
won't spit up.  Evidently you are missing the tuple data type that
normally goes with a relation (including sequence relations).
Fortunately, delete isn't real picky about *what* type it drops,
it just wants to find one with the right name.  So try

create type reporters_idnum_seq(input = int4in, output = int4out);

and then see if you can drop the sequence.

            regards, tom lane