Re: pg_dump, shemas, backup strategy - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael A. Peters
Subject Re: pg_dump, shemas, backup strategy
Date
Re: pg_dump, shemas, backup strategy  (Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org>)
List pgsql-general
> Michael A. Peters wrote:
>> I run CentOS 5.x and I do not like to upgrade vendor supplied packages.
>> My
>> version of pg_dump is from postgresql-8.1.21-1.el5_5.1 - I'm assuming
>> the
>> 8.1.21 is the important part.
>>

> That's a bad policy with PostgreSQL.  I guarantee you that the problems
> you will run into because you're on PostgreSQL 8.1 are far worse than
> any you might encounter because you've updated from RedHat's PostgreSQL
> to the RPM packages provided by the PostgreSQL packagers.  There are
> hundreds of known limitations in 8.1 you will absolutely suffer from as
> you expand your deployment that have been fixed in later versions.  Yes,
> you can run into a packaging problem after upgrading to the PostgreSQL
> provided 8.3 or 8.4 that doesn't exist with the 8.1 they ship.  But
> that's a *possible* issue, compared to the *guaranteed* limitations that
> are removed by using a later version of the database.
>
> Also, take a look at
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Release_Support_Policy
> 8.1 will be a frozen release no longer receiving bug fixes real soon now.

OK. I already maintain my own php RPMs because RHEL php is too old (I need
the DOMDocument stuff) so maybe I need to add Postgresql to that.

PHP is the only thing I currently have that links against postgresql anyway.