Re: What happens at BIND time? (pg_upgrade issue) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: What happens at BIND time? (pg_upgrade issue)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 08/28/2013 11:44 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Tom,
>
>> Does the backend's memory usage climb, or hold steady?  If the former,
>> I'd bet on client failure to release resources, eg not closing the
>> portals when done with them.  A memory map from MemoryContextStats
>> would help determine exactly what's leaking.
>
> FS cache usage increases through the test run, as you'd expect, but the
> amount of pinned memory actually remains pretty much constant -- and has
> the same usage in both 8.4 (where the BIND issue doesn't happen) and
> 9.3b2 (where it does).

So, this just got a lot stranger.

What we've been testing here is upgrading from 8.4 to 9.X via
pg_upgrade, because that's what they have to do in production for time
reasons.  We recently confirmed that this issue affects 9.0 also.

So I finally got results back from the test where we do dump/restore (to
9.3b2) instead of pg_upgrade ... and the BIND regression does not occur.So this now has something to do with
pg_upgrade,not just BIND and Java.

cc'd Bruce for that reason.

We'll be rerunning these tests next week, comparing a 9.3 with the issue
to a 9.3 without it under oprofile etc.  Suggestions on what we should
look for are welcome.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.