Re: SQL statement over 500% slower with 9.2 compared with 9.1 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Rafael Martinez
Subject Re: SQL statement over 500% slower with 9.2 compared with 9.1
Date
List pgsql-performance

On 08/28/2013 06:10 AM, Jeff Janes wrote:
> On Monday, August 26, 2013, Rafael Martinez wrote:

Hei

> Could you do explain (analyze, buffers) of these?

With 9.1:
http://explain.depesz.com/s/FMe

with 9.2:
http://explain.depesz.com/s/Z1j

> What happens if you excise the "19 < (select ...)" clause? That
> would greatly simplify the analysis, assuming the problem remains.

With 9.1:
http://explain.depesz.com/s/DhuV

With 9.2:
I do not get a result in a reasonable time, after several minuttes I
cancel the query.

> How many distinct filmId are there?

 count
- --------
 934752

> Most directors are not also actors, so there is a strong negative
> correlation that PostgreSQL is not aware of. However, I think if
> you could get 9.1 to report the same path, it would be just as
> wrong on that estimate.  But since it doesn't report the same
> path, you don't see how wrong it is.
>
> Try running:
>
> explain (analyze, buffers) SELECT  D.personId FROM
> FilmParticipation D WHERE   D.partType = 'director' --AND
> D.personId = R.personId AND NOT EXISTS ( SELECT  * FROM
> FilmParticipation C WHERE   C.partType = 'cast' AND C.filmId =
> D.filmId AND C.personId = D.personId );
>
> On both 9.1 and 9.2.

Same result with both:

with 9.1: