Re: Backup throttling - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Backup throttling
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 8/27/13 7:58 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
>  We have a *general* need to be able to throttle server-side resource
> utilization, particularly I/O.  This is a problem not only for
> pg_basebackup, but for COPY, CLUSTER, VACUUM, and even things like
> UPDATE.  Of all of those, the only one for which we currently have any
> kind of a solution is VACUUM.

I didn't mention it specifically, but I always presumed that the "Cost
limited statements RFC" proposal I floated:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/519EA5FF.5040606@2ndQuadrant.com
(and am still working on) would handle the base backup case too.
pg_basebackup is just another client.  Some sort of purpose made
solution for pg_basebackup alone may be useful, but I'd be shocked if
the sort of general mechanism I described there wasn't good enough to
handle many of the backup limiting cases too.

Also, once that and the block write counters I also sent an RFC out for
are in place, I have a plan for adding a server-wide throttling
mechanism.  I want to extract a cluster wide read and write rate and put
a cluster wide limit on that whole thing.  It seemed too hard to jump
into without these other two pieces of plumbing in place first.