Re: BUG #8394: SQL command REINDEX doesn't work - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: BUG #8394: SQL command REINDEX doesn't work
Date
List pgsql-bugs
yzhang@trinityusa.com wrote on 23.08.2013 18:00:

> Bug reference:      8394
> Logged by:          Yz Primus
> Email address:      yzhang@trinityusa.com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.1.3
> Operating system:   Windows 7 64-bit
>
> I always received error when trying to run SQL command REINDEX either from
> pgAdmin III or psql. If I ran REINDEX DATABASE it threw error:
> ERROR:  syntax error at end of input
> LINE 1: REINDEX DATABASE
>

> If I ran REINDEX DATABASE mydb it threw error:
> ERROR:  can only reindex the currently open database

Quote from the manual:

   Presently, REINDEX DATABASE and REINDEX SYSTEM can only reindex the current database,
   so their parameter must match the current database's name.

So you need to specify the name of the current database even though it's not really needed.