Re: Backup throttling - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Backup throttling
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 08/22/2013 01:39 PM, PostgreSQL - Hans-Jürgen Schönig wrote:

> what would be a reasonable scenario where limiting streaming would make sense? i cannot think of any to be honest.

I tend to agree. If anything we're likely to want the reverse - the
ability to throttle WAL *generation* on the master so streaming can keep up.

I see a lot of value in throttling base backup transfer rates. It's
something PgBarman does per-tablespace using rsync at the moment, but
it'd be nice if it available as an option possible over the streaming
replication protocol via pg_basebackup so it was easier for people to
use ad-hoc and without all the shell access wrangling.