Re: Getting list of supported types in Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Getting list of supported types in Postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
On 08/15/2013 08:07 AM, Ivan Radovanovic wrote:

>>> doesn't list which types can be indexed and which can't?
>>
>> Postgres can handle a variety of indexes including indexing on
>> expressions, which is why I pointed you to that link.
>>
>> To cut to the chase, in the above link at:
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/interactive/indexes-opclass.html
>>
>> there is this:
>>
>> SELECT am.amname AS index_method,
>> opf.opfname AS opfamily_name,
>> amop.amopopr::regoperator AS opfamily_operator
>> FROM pg_am am, pg_opfamily opf, pg_amop amop
>> WHERE opf.opfmethod = am.oid AND
>> amop.amopfamily = opf.oid
>> ORDER BY index_method, opfamily_name, opfamily_operator;
>>>

> Thanks Adrian, but question was how to decide which types are indexable
> - query which you sent returns list of operators defined for some types
> - for example it returns operators for bytea too, and you can't index by
> bytea,

Actually you can:

CREATE TABLE bytea_test(id int, fld_1 bytea);

test=# \d bytea_test

   Table "public.bytea_test"

  Column |  Type   | Modifiers
--------+---------+-----------
  id     | integer |
  fld_1  | bytea   |

test=# CREATE INDEX i ON bytea_test (fld_1);

test=# \d bytea_test
   Table "public.bytea_test"
  Column |  Type   | Modifiers
  id     | integer |