Re: MinGW compiled client library - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: MinGW compiled client library
Date
List pgsql-general
On 8/13/2013 2:25 PM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> On 08/13/2013 01:40 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
>> >They use Microsoft Visual C (I forget the exact version, but I believe most
>> >recent versions are supported, including the "Express" versions).
> Then MinGW should be capable of producing the same binaries.
>
> I've tried early gcc 4.7 and the latest gcc 4.8, but neither produce anything
> that works.

no. GCC uses a totally different libc in its generated code.  that alone
ensures its binaries are not directly comparable.    linking code with
incompatible libc's is gonna result in some gnarly messes, imagine what
kind of ugly stuff could happen if you used one malloc and another free ?