Re: SORT and Merge Join via Index - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gavin Flower
Subject Re: SORT and Merge Join via Index
Date
List pgsql-general
On 14/08/13 12:02, Robert James wrote:
I noticed that when I have an index on (a,b) of table t, and I do an
SELECT * FROM t ORDER BY a ASC, it doesn't use the index.  When I
create a new index of only a, it does use the index.  Why is that?

And, more importantly, when I do a query involving a merge join of
table t, which requires sorting table t, the planner does the sort
manually using quicksort, not using the index. The time that step
takes is identical to the ORDER BY without using the index.  What do I
need to do to have Postgres use the index for the merge join?

(Postgres 8.3)

Thanks!

It might be that the RAM taken up by an index of (a,b) rather than (a) triggers the plan to reject it and/or the extra I/O to scan the extra disk blocks required by the index of (a,b)?

I cringe when I used to gaily use indexes without any regard for these factors!  :-(

Cheers,
Gavin