Re: CoC [Final v2] - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christophe Pettus
Subject Re: CoC [Final v2]
Date
List pgsql-general
On Jan 24, 2016, at 6:09 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> so what would be a better way of developing this ?

This needs to come from -core, and then commented on as a complete policy, not just CoC with maybe enforcement
provisionslater.  Not because we're a dictatorship, but if they are going to be the ones responsible for handling
complaints,they need to be 100% bought into it.  A CoC with no enforcement mechanism is pointless.  If there's no
mandatefrom -core to have a CoC, this is just pantomime.

Let's say I arrive a -general with a proposal that PG 9.7 should speak the MongoDB wire protocol in addition to v3,
completewith some working code.  The comments on -general come down to:

1. A large number of people saying I am insane.
2. A smaller number of people saying, "Yes, but which version?"
3. A large number of people saying, "No, it should speak MySQL's protocol instead."

I can't claim that, on the basis of #2, there's "consensus" that the feature is a good idea and should be refined and
committed,but that's precisely what I see happening here.

In any event, the tone of this particular discussion has gotten so out of control (basically, people are being told to
shutup left and right), that I don't see a consensus is possible right now.

--
-- Christophe Pettus
  xof@thebuild.com