Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date
In response to Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
Responses Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila@huawei.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
All,

To limit the argument here, let's please not argue about things which
people already agree on.  So:

We seem to have consensus around:

A) the inadvisability of storing GUCs in a system catalog.

B) the utility of a conf.d in /etc/ which may have nothing to do with
ALTER SYSTEM SET

C) that any file for ALTER SYSTEM SET go in $PGDATA somewhere.

What we are still arguing about:

D) one-big-file vs. file-per-setting

E) whether "unsafe" settings or "restart" settings should be allowed in
ALTER SYSTEM SET.

F) whether admins need the ability to disable ALTER SYSTEM SET.

Since each of D, E and F issues are completely orthagonal to each other,
I suggest that maybe we argue them each out on their own threads?  I'll
start.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.