Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date
In response to Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 8/2/13 4:48 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Josh Berkus (josh@agliodbs.com) wrote:
>> I really think this is the wrong approach.  If we start removing
>> "unsafe" parameters from ALTER SYSTEM SET, we basically hobble the
>> feature to the point of uselessness.  Out of the 15 or so parameters 80%
>> of our users touch, half of them are on your "unsafe" list.
>
> Reflecting on this a bit more, I'm curious what your list-of-15 is.

You can get a top 15-ish list from
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server

The list of things I see changed regularly that are on your unsafe list are:

listen_addresses, port, shared_buffers, log_directory, log_filename

Obvious missing thing from your unsafe list that is also changed
regularly is max_connection.  I count 6 parameters that are both unsafe
and changed regularly.