Re: FORMAT_INTEGER is wrong on (some) 64 bit platforms? - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Matt Lilley
Subject Re: FORMAT_INTEGER is wrong on (some) 64 bit platforms?
Date
List pgsql-odbc
On 24/07/13 3:22 PM, Inoue, Hiroshi wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> (2013/07/24 3:32), Matt Lilley wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to understand the logic in psqlodbc.h where if the size of a
>> long int is not 8 that FORMAT_INTEGER is set to "%ld".
>
> Is the version 9.02.0100?
Yes. Tip of master.
> Does replacing SIZEOF_LONG_INT by SIZEOF_LONG work?
Yes. Then I get the first branch, which has "%d" and "%u".

Regards,
Matt

> regards,
> Hiroshi Inoue
>
> > I can't find any
>> definitive documentation, but I gather from various forum posts that the
>> size of SQL_C_LONG is always intended to be 4 bytes, independent of the
>> host architecture. (This exact issue was first reported 9 years ago, it
>> seems [1]). I don't think it should matter what size long int is on the
>> host: surely it should only matter what the type being passed into
>> SQLBindParameter is given as, since the data is packed by the caller,
>> not the callee. My initial instinct was just to change the macro from
>> "%ld" to "%d" (and similarly, "%lu" to "%u" for FORMAT_UINTEGER), but
>> since there is quite a bit of code in there trying to make sense of it,
>> I thought I'd check here.
>>
>> FWIW, I got here by trying to bind an integer column to -1 and getting
>> an out-of-range error, just like Kelly in [1]. Changing the %ld -> %d
>> fixes the symptoms for me. Is there any reason this can't be fixed?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Matt

Matt Lilley
Software Engineer
SecuritEase

Tel:    +64 4 912-2100
Fax:    +64 4 912-2101
E-mail: matt.lilley@securitease.com
Web:    http://www.securitease.com

This e-mail has passed our content security scan.
It is covered by the confidentiality clauses at http://www.securitease.com/content_and_confidentiality