Re: patch submission: truncate trailing nulls from heap rows to reduce the size of the null bitmap [Review] - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: patch submission: truncate trailing nulls from heap rows to reduce the size of the null bitmap [Review]
Date
In response to Re: Re: patch submission: truncate trailing nulls from heap rows to reduce the size of the null bitmap [Review]  ("Kevin Grittner" <kgrittn@mail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 06/26/2013 07:05 AM, Jamie Martin wrote:
> FYI I submitted a slightly modified patch since Amit's measurements that is slightly faster.

Yes.  My perspective is that this is a worthwhile optimization for a
minority, but fairly well-known, use case, provided that it doesn't
negatively impact any other, more common use case.  Potential cases
where I can see negative impact are:

A) normal table with a few, mostly non-null columns (recent pgbench
testing seems to have validated no measurable impact).

B) table with many (400+) mostly non-null columns

C) table with many (400+) mostly null columns, where column #390 was
null and gets updated to a not null value

I don't *think* that Jamie's performance tests have really addressed the
above cases.  However, do people agree that if performance on the patch
passes for all of A, B and C, then it's OK to apply?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.