Re: proposal: simple date constructor from numeric values - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: proposal: simple date constructor from numeric values
Date
Re: proposal: simple date constructor from numeric values
List pgsql-hackers
On 7/1/13 3:47 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> and it is a part of our ToDo: "Add function to allow the creation of
> timestamps using parameters"
>
> so we can have a functions with signatures

I would just name them date(...), time(...), etc.

> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION construct_date(year int, month int DEFAULT
> 1, day int DEFAULT 1) RETURNS date;

I would not use default values for this one.

> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION construct_time(hour int DEFAULT 0, mi int
> DEFAULT 0, sec int DEFAULT 0, ms float DEFAULT 0.0);

If we are using integer datetime storage, we shouldn't use floats to
construct them.