Re: PSA: If you are running Precise/12.04 upgrade your kernel. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shaun Thomas
Subject Re: PSA: If you are running Precise/12.04 upgrade your kernel.
Date
List pgsql-general
On 06/17/2013 04:00 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/Ubuntu-12-04-3-2-Kernel-Bad-for-PostgreSQL-Performance-td5735284.html
>>
>> tl;dr for that thread seems to be a driver problem (fusionIO?), I'm
>> unsure if Ubuntu specific or in the upstream kernel.

That instance wasn't a driver problem. The problem was that the FusionIO
driver uses kernel threads to perform IO, and it seems that several of
the 3.x kernels have issues with task migration using the new CFS CPU
scheduler which replaced the O(1) one.

The next thread related to this that fixed our particular case was this one:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/50E4AAB1.9040902@optionshouse.com

--
Shaun Thomas
312-676-8870