news ticker Services Policy -- time for a change? - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Josh Berkus
Subject news ticker Services Policy -- time for a change?
Date
Re: news ticker Services Policy -- time for a change?  (Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele.bartolini@2ndQuadrant.it>)
Re: news ticker Services Policy -- time for a change?  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
List pgsql-www
Folks,

Currently our approval policy says this:

From: http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/NewsEventsApproval

"The following types of news will be approved:
* Brand new products/projects/services which support or center around
PostgreSQL"

Under this policy, the new 2ndQuadrant support option was approved as a
news announcement.  Thing is, I don't think that kind of announcement
belongs on the postgresql.org home page.  When I wrote that text, what I
personally meant by "services" was stuff like PAAS, not a support
service.  I'm also concerned that the 2Q announcement will kick off an
arms race of similar announcements.  I know I'll submit one for PGX if
we don't change the policy.

I'd like to change the policy to:

* Brand new products, projects, companies hosting services, or cloud
services which support or center around PostgreSQL.

The idea is that I think we want announcements like Gandi's PAAS on the
home page, or StormDB launching, but not announcements like PGX
introducing new emergency services.

Comments/objections/alternatives?

--
Josh Berkus