Re: fallocate / posix_fallocate for new WAL file creation (etc...) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: fallocate / posix_fallocate for new WAL file creation (etc...)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 5/30/13 7:52 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
> fadvise is a hint which is pretty
> different from a fallocate where ignoring would have way much more
> severe consequences.

Yes, it will.  That's why I want to see it tested.  There is more than
enough past examples of bad behavior here to be skeptical that this sort
of API may not work exactly as specified.  If you're willing to believe
the spec, that's fine, but I think that's dangerously optimistic.