Re: Unsigned integer types - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Unsigned integer types
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 05/28/2013 07:00 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 05:57:41PM -0500, Jim Nasby wrote:
>>>
>>> Did you try 'oid' as an unsigned int4?
>> Using an internal catalog type for user data seems like a horrible idea to me...
> Uh, not sure if we can say oid is only an internal catalog type.  It is
> certainly used for storing large object references.

pg_largeobject has oids. I don't thing the fact that we use oids to
store references to pg_largeobject should blind us to the fact that oid
should be an opaque type. Using them as substitute unsigned ints seems
like a horrible idea to me too.

cheers

andrew