Re: getting rid of freezing - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: getting rid of freezing
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andres,

> all visible is only set in vacuum and it determines which parts of a
> table will be scanned in a non full table vacuum. So, since we won't
> regularly start vacuum in the insert only case there will still be a
> batch of work at once. But nearly all of that work is *already*
> performed. We would just what the details of that around for a
> bit. *But* since we now would only need to vacuum the non all-visible
> part that would get noticeably cheaper as well.

Yeah, I can see that.  Seems worthwhile, then.

> I think for that case we should run vacuum more regularly for insert
> only tables since we currently don't do regularly enough which a) increases
> the amount of work needed at once and b) prevents index only scans from
> working there.

Yes.   I'm not sure how we would set this though; I think it's another
example of how autovacuum's parameters for when to vaccuum etc. are too
simple-minded for the real world.  Doing an all-visible scan on an
insert-only table, for example, should be based on XID age and not on %
inserted, no?

Speaking of which, I need to get on revamping the math for autoanalyze.

Mind you, in the real-world insert-only table case, this does create
extra IO -- real insert-only tables often have a few rows ( < 5% ) which
are updated/deleted.  Vacuum would see these and want to clean the pages
up, which would create much more substantial IO.  It might still be a
good tradeoff, but we should be aware of it.

Unless we want a special VACUUM ALL VISIBLE mode.  I vote no, unless we
demonstrate some really convincing case for it.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.