Re: Free port choosing freezes when PostgresNode::use_tcp is used on BSD systems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Free port choosing freezes when PostgresNode::use_tcp is used on BSD systems
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 4/19/21 7:22 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Alexey Kondratov <a.kondratov@postgrespro.ru> writes:
>> And this is an absolute true, on BSD-like systems (macOS and FreeBSD
>> tested) it hangs on looping through the entire ports range over and over
>> when $PostgresNode::use_tcp = 1 is set, since bind fails with:
> Hm.
>
>> That way, if it really could happen why not to just skip binding to
>> 127.0.0/24 addresses other than 127.0.0.1 outside of Linux/Windows as
>> per attached patch_PostgresNode.diff?
> That patch seems wrong, or at least it's ignoring the advice immediately
> above about binding to 0.0.0.0 only on Windows.
>
> I wonder whether we could get away with just replacing the $use_tcp
> test with $TestLib::windows_os.  It's not really apparent to me
> why we should care about 127.0.0.not-1 on Unix-oid systems.

Yeah

The comment is a bit strange anyway - Cygwin is actually going to use
Unix sockets, not TCP.

I think I would just change the test to this: $use_tcp &&
$TestLib::windows_os.

cheers

andrew

--