Re: What is a DO block for? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: What is a DO block for?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 05/23/2013 05:58 AM, Rob Richardson wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> Another post on this list suggested using a DO block if the user's Postgres version is 9.0 or later.  The
documentationfor the DO block says what it is, but not what it is for.  The only benefit I could see for it is allowing
theuse of locally defined variables.  I'm sure there's more to it than that.  What justifies the existence of the DO
block?

> The message that mentioned the DO block is quoted below as an example.

In database processing without having to create a function that is stored.

JD
--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  509-416-6579
High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC, @cmdpromptinc