Re: Performance Question Followup No.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Performance Question Followup No.2
Date
List pgsql-general
Gordan Bobic <gordan@bobich.net> writes:
> After just having split the action into two parts (FTI delete + Master
> delete), it would appear that most of the delay does come from the triggers
> executing.

I imagine that the problem is that the triggers have to delete the FTI
records retail --- one master record's worth at a time.  That's
inherently far less efficient than getting rid of all of them in a
single query, as your comparison case is doing.  I see no easy way
to get around that in the context of the existing FTI design.

There is a new "tsearch" contrib module in 7.2 that might be worth your
time to look at instead.  I'm not sure whether it's any better on this
measure, but at least it's a fresh implementation...

            regards, tom lane