Re: Postgres perl module namespace - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Dilger
Subject Re: Postgres perl module namespace
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> On Apr 18, 2022, at 10:59 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>
> No, I think we could probably just port the whole of src/test/PostreSQL
> back if required, and have it live alongside the old modules. Each TAP
> test is a separate miracle - see comments elsewhere about port
> assignment in parallel TAP tests.

I think $last_port_assigned would need to be shared between the two modules.  This global safeguard is already a bit
buggy,but not sharing it between modules would be far worse.  Currently, if a node which has a port assigned is
stopped,and a parallel test creates a new node, this global variable prevents the new node from getting the port
alreadyassigned to the old stopped node, except when port assignment wraps around. Without sharing the global,
wrap-aroundneed not happen for port collisions.

Or am I reading the code wrong?

—
Mark Dilger
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company