Re: PostgreSQL 9.3 beta breaks some extensions "make install" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 9.3 beta breaks some extensions "make install"
Date
Re: PostgreSQL 9.3 beta breaks some extensions "make install"  (Marti Raudsepp <marti@juffo.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 5/14/13 4:17 AM, Marti Raudsepp wrote:
> On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 5:27 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2013-05-14 at 04:12 +0300, Marti Raudsepp wrote:
>>> It's caused by this common pattern in extension makefiles:
>>> DATA = $(wildcard sql/*--*.sql) sql/$(EXTENSION)--$(EXTVERSION).sql
>
>> What is the point of this?  Why have the wildcard and then the
>> non-wildcard term?
>
> Because the non-wildcard file is built by the same Makefile (it's
> copied from the sql/$(EXTENSION).sql file). If it wasn't there, a
> "make install" from a clean checkout would miss this file.

If it's built, then it should be listed in DATA_built.

> Perhaps, but fixing the extensions is not a solution at this point. A
> large number of extensions use this exact code (it comes from David
> Wheeler's template AFAIK).

So far, the number is still less than the number of extensions broken by
the htup header refactoring, so I'm not worried about it.

Also, substituting a custom install program has always been supported,
so this was already broken anyway, now we just know about it earlier.