Re: RETURNING syntax for COPY - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: RETURNING syntax for COPY
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 5/8/13 12:33 PM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> Karol Trzcionka <karlikt@gmail.com> writes:
>> as a continuation of my proposal expanding RETURNING syntax by
>
> What about implementing support for OLD/NEW in per-statement triggers? I
> guess you would expose the data via a SRF.

Per statement NEW/OLD is an interesting case, in that it shares some of the same challenges; namely how to store the
NEWand OLD recordsets efficiently. I've wondered if there'd be some way to do that by just storing a list of CTIDs (not
sureif that'd work with HOT for OLD though).

I still like the idea of being able to exclude certain records during COPY though; not writing a tuple will always be
moreefficient than creating one and then nuking it after the fact. There's a similar argument to be made about in-line
transformstoo.

--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect                       jim@nasby.net