Re: spoonbill vs. -HEAD - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject Re: spoonbill vs. -HEAD
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 04/04/2013 02:18 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> writes:
>> On 04/03/2013 12:59 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> BTW, on further thought it seems like maybe this is an OpenBSD bug,
>>> at least in part: what is evidently happening is that the temporary
>>> blockage of SIGINT during the handler persists even after we've
>>> longjmp'd back to the main loop.  But we're using sigsetjmp(..., 1)
>>> to establish that longjmp handler --- so why isn't the original signal
>>> mask reinstalled when we return to the main loop?
>>>
>>> If (your version of) OpenBSD is getting this wrong, it'd explain why
>>> we've not seen similar behavior elsewhere.
>
>> hmm trolling the openbsd cvs history brings up this:
>> http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/arch/sparc64/sparc64/machdep.c?r1=1.143;sortby=date#rev1.143
>
> That's about alternate signal stacks, which we're not using.
>
> I put together a simple test program (attached) and tried it on
> spoonbill, and it says that the signal *does* get unblocked when control
> returns to the sigsetjmp(...,1).  So now I'm really confused.  Somehow
> the results we're getting in a full-fledged backend do not match up with
> the results gotten by this test program ... but why?

as a followup to this - I spend some time upgrading spoonbill to the
lastest OpenBSD release (5.3) the other day and it seems to be able to
pass a full regression test run now on a manual run. I will add it to
the regular reporting schedule again, but it seems at least part of the
problem is/was an Operating system level issue that got fixed in either
5.2 or 5.3 (spoonbill was on 5.1 before).

Stefan