Re: BUG #8135: current_setting('DateStyle'); does not reflect User setting - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: BUG #8135: current_setting('DateStyle'); does not reflect User setting
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 05.05.2013 21:18, frank@heuveltop.nl wrote:
> PostgreSQL version: 9.1.8

Not that it makes any difference for this issue, but you should upgrade
to 9.1.9.

> After
>   ALTER ROLE frank SET TimeZone = 'Europe/Amsterdam';
>
> Where the TimeZone differs from the default timezone.
>
>   SELECT current_setting('TimeZone');
>
> Gives the correct answer.
>
> But this same doesn't work for DateStyle
>
>    ALTER ROLE frank SET DateStyle = 'SQL, DMY';
>
> Where the DateStyle differs from the default DateStyle
>
>   SELECT current_setting('DateStyle');
>
> Gives the system/database setting but not the user setting; while the
> setting does have its effect on the output of date's and timestamps. This
> might also effect other user settings, but I haven't found any yet.

Works for me. Are you sure the value isn't being overridden by a
per-database-and-role setting?  You can use "select source from
pg_settings where name='DateStyle'" to check where the currently
effective value came from.

- Heikki