Re: Commit subject line - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Commit subject line
Date
Re: Commit subject line  (Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 05/03/2013 02:43 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> writes:
>> Oh, that's tight. I didn't know about the 50 char recommendation. I've
>> tried to keep mine < 76 chars, so that when you do "git log", it fits on
>> a 80 char display with the 4 char indentation that git log does.
> Yeah, that's news to me too.  I've been using a 75-char line length for
> all my commit messages since we switched to git.  It's frequently tough
> enough to get a useful headline into 75 chars --- I can't see trying to
> do 50.

man git-commit says:
   Though not required, it’s a good idea to begin the commit message   with a single short (less than 50 character)
linesummarizing the   change, followed by a blank line and then a more thorough   description. Tools that turn commits
intoemail, for example, use   the first line on the Subject: line and the rest of the commit in   the body.

I'd be happy to use 75 or whatever if we could convince the email tools
not to truncate the subject lines at 50.

cheers

andrew