Re: Hardware suggestions for maximum read performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Arjen van der Meijden
Subject Re: Hardware suggestions for maximum read performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
3x200GB suggests you want to use RAID5?

Perhaps you should just pick 2x200GB and set them to RAID1. With roughly
200GB of storage, that should still easily house your "potentially
10GB"-database with ample of room to allow the SSD's to balance the
writes. But you save the investment and its probably a bit faster with
writes (although your raid-card may reduce or remove the differences
with your workload).

You can then either keep the money or invest in faster cpu's. With few
concurrent connections the E5-2643 (also a quad core, but with 3.3GHz
cores rather than 2.4GHz) may be interesting.
Its obviously a bit of speculation to see whether that would help, but
it should speed up sorts and other in-memory/cpu-operations (even if
you're not - and never will be - cpu-bound right now).

Best regards,

Arjen