Re: high io BUT huge amount of free memory - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shaun Thomas
Subject Re: high io BUT huge amount of free memory
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 05/01/2013 06:37 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Sorry to be dense here, but what is the problem with that output?
> That there is a lot of memory marked as "free"?  Why would it mark
> any memory free?

That's kind of my point. :) That 14GB isn't allocated to cache, buffers,
any process, or anything else. It's just... free. In the middle of the
day, where 800 PG threads are pulling 7000TPS on average. Based on that
scenario, I'd like to think it would cache pretty aggressively, but
instead, it's just leaving 14GB around to do absolutely nothing.

It makes me sad. :(

--
Shaun Thomas
312-676-8870