Re: Another idea for GSoC indexing project - Mailing list pgsql-students

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: Another idea for GSoC indexing project
Date
List pgsql-students
On 24.4.2013 17:05, Alexander Korotkov wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 6:38 PM, Бочечко Арсений <slua@ukr.net
> <mailto:slua@ukr.net>> wrote:
>
>     Sounds interesting, but this will also require a wrapper for this
>     composite types?
>
> For SQL and PL/pgSQL it's not. I'm not sure about rest of procedural
> languages. Should be checked.

This seems like a really neat project idea, however as I have never used
GIN/GiST APIs, I can't really judge the benefits. Could someone prepare
a simple example of a simple composite type and implementation of
GIN/GiST index with the current and new APIs? Not a complete
implementation, just a simple example of how the new API would make it
more simple.

BTW I think the project should include a simple benchmark, comparing the
old C APIs and the new PL APIs.

kind regards
Tomas