Re: Function with DEFAULT arguments - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Function with DEFAULT arguments
Date
List pgsql-general
Scott Bailey <artacus@comcast.net> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> You can only omit arguments from right to left, so basically what this
>> requires is some foresight while choosing the function's argument order.

> What do you think about allowing 'default' as a parameter the way we do
> when inserting a record?

Seems like a nonstarter because of overloading considerations --- what
are you going to do if there are multiple possible matches?

In any case, the match-arguments-by-name solution available in PG 9.0
seems a whole lot superior to complicating positional match even more.

            regards, tom lane