Re: Google Summer of code 2013 - Mailing list pgsql-students

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: Google Summer of code 2013
Date
List pgsql-students
Hi,

I've briefly discussed the project with the student a while back, so a
few thoughts on the project:

On 15.4.2013 00:16, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Karel K. Rozhoň (karel.rozhon@gmail.com) wrote:
>> What do you think about this project?
>
> Parallelization in PG is a pretty massive discussion and probably not
> suited to a GSoC project.  Once we have the groundwork for doing

There's certainly a lot of groundwork to do, and I do share the concern
that the project will have to deal with a lot of dirty work (e.g. when
transfering data between the processes). But couldn't it be a useful
part of the discussion?

I don't expect a commitable patch at the end, but rather something that
"works" and may be used as a basis for improvements and to build the
actual groundwork.

> parallel processing for a given query, I doubt that hash tables will be
> the first piece implemented.

I think that depends on the workload type. For example for databases
handling DWH-like queries, parallel hash aggregate is going to be a
major improvement.

Karel mentioned he's currently working on his bachelor thesis, which is
about hash tables too. That's another reason why he proposed this topic.

regards
Tomas