Re: Postgres trigger issue with update statement in it. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Postgres trigger issue with update statement in it.
Date
List pgsql-sql
On 04/03/2013 09:08 PM, Kaleeswaran Velu wrote:

> Hello Friends,
> I am new to Postgres DB. Recently installed Postgres 9.2.
> Facing an issue with very simple trigger, tried to resolve myself by
> reading documents or google search but no luck.
>
> I have a table A(parent) and table B (child). There is a BEFORE INSERT
> OR UPDATE trigger attached in table B. This trigger has a update
> statement in it. This update statement should update a respective record
> in table A when ever there is any insert/update happen in table B. The
> issue here is where ever I insert/update record in table B, getting an
> error as below :
>
> ********** Error **********
> ERROR: cannot begin/end transactions in PL/pgSQL
> SQL state: 0A000
> Hint: Use a BEGIN block with an EXCEPTION clause instead.
> Context: PL/pgSQL function func_update_payment() line 53 at SQL statement
>
> Line no 53 in the above error message is an update statement. If I
> comment out the update statement, trigger works fine.
>
> Can anyone shed some lights on this? Your help is appreciated.

Without seeing the actual code it is a guess, but here it goes.
From this:

ERROR: cannot begin/end transactions in PL/pgSQL

I would say you tried to create a transaction in the function. Could be
you wrote BEGIN; instead of BEGIN ... END;

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com