Re: 8.2/8.3 incompatibility - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 8.2/8.3 incompatibility
Date
List pgsql-general
"Gregory Williamson" <Gregory.Williamson@digitalglobe.com> writes:
> Harald,
>> (Note the different column types.)

> Precisely -- there are a number of casts that have been removed from
> this release.

This isn't a casting problem, I don't think.  8.3 is definitely stricter
about implicit casts with FKs, eg try adding this to the test case:

regression=# create table t3 (f1 int references t1);
ERROR:  foreign key constraint "t3_f1_fkey" cannot be implemented
DETAIL:  Key columns "f1" and "id" are of incompatible types: integer and character.

But it's allowing the constraint and then failing at runtime, which
seems like an outright bug, since the values *should* compare equal
AFAICS.  I wonder if this is related to bug #3938.

            regards, tom lane