Re: "stuck spinlock" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christophe Pettus
Subject Re: "stuck spinlock"
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Dec 12, 2013, at 3:18 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Hm, a PANIC really ought to result in a core file.  You sure you don't
> have that disabled (perhaps via a ulimit setting)?

Since it's using the Ubuntu packaging, we have pg_ctl_options = '-c' in /etc/postgresql/9.3/main/pg_ctl.conf.

> As for the root cause, it's hard to say.  The file/line number says it's
> a buffer header lock that's stuck.  I rechecked all the places that lock
> buffer headers, and all of them have very short code paths to the
> corresponding unlock, so there's no obvious explanation how this could
> happen.

The server was running with shared_buffers=100GB, but the problem has reoccurred now with shared_buffers=16GB.

--
-- Christophe Pettus  xof@thebuild.com