Re: Postgresql performance degrading... how to diagnose the root cause - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Julien Cigar
Subject Re: Postgresql performance degrading... how to diagnose the root cause
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 03/29/2013 15:20, Franck Routier wrote:
> Hi,

Hello,

> I have a postgresql database (8.4) running in production whose
> performance is degrading.
> There is no single query that underperforms, all queries do.
> Another interesting point is that a generic performance test
> (https://launchpad.net/tpc-b) gives mediocre peformance when run on
> the database, BUT the same test on a newly created database, on the
> same pg cluster, on the same tablespace, does perform good.
>
> So the problem seems to be limited to this database, even on newly
> created tables...
>
> What should I check to find the culprit of this degrading performance ?

Difficult to answer with so few details, but I would start by logging
slow queries, and run an explain analyze on them (or use auto_explain).
Check if you're CPU bound or I/O bound (top, iostats, vmstat, systat,
gstat..), check your configuration (shared_buffers,
effective_cache_size, work_mem, checkpoint_segments, cpu_tuple_cost, ...)