Re: Money casting too liberal? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gavin Flower
Subject Re: Money casting too liberal?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 29/03/13 10:13, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
On 28 Mar 2013 20:50:42 GMT
Jasen Betts <jasen@xnet.co.nz> wrote:
it actually does that, if you have the locale installed you can set
LC_MONETARY to  Japan  and get no decimals and a Yen symbol
or to UAE and get three decimals and their currency symbol.
Must have been added by someone else after I worked on it.  I thought
about that issue but felt that that was the wrong solution.  The
problem is that the same data displays differently depending on who
runs the query.

I would have rather made that part of the column definition similar to
how we create timestamps with or without timezones.  If a column is
tracking Yen it should always be Yen.  Y10,000 should never display as
$100.00 just because the locale changes.

Eeeks!

I agree...

Hmm... This should optionally apply to time.  e.g. time_i_got_up_in_the_morning should reflect the time zone where I got up - if I got up at 8am NZ time then this should be displayed, not 12pm (12 noon) to someone in Los Angeles or 3am in Tokyo! (have a 'localtime' data type? - possibly add the timezone code if displayed in a different time zone.)

Cheers,
Gavin