Re: drop tablespace error: invalid argument - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Tyler
Subject Re: drop tablespace error: invalid argument
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 8:57 PM, Jan Otto <asche@me.com> wrote:
> Someone else please confirm?  If so I'll revert that patch.

Yes i can confirm that this bug is fixed in Mac OS X 10.6.2. I have checked it twice.
With removed workaround in tablespace.c and with my self written testcase from
september.

I can confirm that I am no longer able to trigger  "ERROR:  could not read directory "pg_xlog": Invalid argument" in Mac OS X 10.6.2 with "checkpoint_segments = 128".

I can also report that under 10.6.1, changing "checkpoint_segments = 128" to "checkpoint_segments = 64" made the pg_xlog errors disappear almost entirely. I could still easily trigger them with "VACUUM FULL", but could not trigger them on demand with regular db operations.

Stephen

PS: I am observing some kind of disk lock-up on my machine that I can't explain (and is present on both 10.6.1 and 10.6.2).  Huge operations (like "VACUUM FULL on a 50GB table") appear to run in brief spikes of activity interspersed with 30 second pauses when the disk appears to be both inactive and somewhat unresponsive and CPU is idle.  Perhaps fsync() is misbehaving (I have an SSD Raid 0 array).  Anyway I am mentioning this as a caution that although I can detect no readdir() errors on Mac OS X 10.6.2, perhaps all is not OK on my system.